Introduction: Selecting the right driveway surface for your new build is a crucial decision that can impact your home’s curb appeal, functionality, and long-term maintenance. Two popular options for modern driveways are tarmac and resin. In this blog post, we’ll compare the characteristics of tarmac and resin driveways to help you make an informed choice for your new build project, with insights from Downham Market Driveways.
1. Durability: Tarmac driveways are renowned for their durability, ability to withstand heavy vehicles, and constant use. They can last for many years with proper maintenance.
2. Cost-Effective: Tarmac is a cost-effective option for driveways. It provides excellent value for money without compromising on quality.
3. Quick Installation: Tarmac driveways can be laid relatively quickly, reducing construction time and minimising disruption to your property.
4. Low Maintenance: Routine maintenance, such as sealing and crack repair, can extend the lifespan of a tarmac driveway and keep it looking fresh.
5. Aesthetic Appeal: Tarmac driveways have a clean and modern appearance. While they may not offer as many design options as resin, they can still enhance your home’s curb appeal.
1. Design Versatility: Resin driveways offer various design possibilities. They can be customised with different colours, patterns, and aggregates to create a unique and visually appealing surface.
2. Permeability: Resin driveways are permeable, allowing water to drain through the surface. This can help prevent puddles and reduce the risk of flooding in your driveway.
3. Low Maintenance: Resin driveways require minimal maintenance, as they are easy to clean and resistant to weed growth. A periodic power wash can keep them looking pristine.
4. Smooth Surface: Resin driveways provide a smooth, even surface that is comfortable to walk and drive on. They are also less prone to cracks and potholes.
5. UV Resistance: Resin driveways are UV-resistant, which means they won’t fade or discolour over time, maintaining their vibrant appearance.
Choosing the Right Option for Your New Build:
The choice between tarmac and resin driveways depends on your priorities and budget. Here are some factors to consider:
- Budget: Tarmac driveways are generally more budget-friendly, making them a practical choice for cost-conscious homeowners.
- Aesthetic Preference: If you prioritise design versatility and want a stand-out driveway, resin driveways offer a wide range of options.
- Durability: Both tarmac and resin driveways are durable, but tarmac may require regular maintenance to maintain longevity.
- Maintenance: Resin driveways are low-maintenance, while tarmac driveways may require occasional sealing and repair.
- Drainage: If efficient water drainage is essential, resin driveways are the better choice due to their porous nature.
- Installation Time: If you need your driveway completed quickly, tarmac driveways have a shorter installation time.
Conclusion: Whether you opt for a tarmac or resin driveway for your new build, both options have advantages. It ultimately comes down to your priorities, budget, and aesthetic preferences.